Tuesday, March 12, 2013

hurricane drunk before it was a thing

Any else have an alter ego that is brought out by alcohol?

Back on New Years Eve 2007, three gal pals and I celebrated No Dick's Eve. 
A night with too much liquor, pizza, no boys and Crossroads on DVD. 

It was the night I earned my nickname: The Hurricane. 

I was Hurricane Drunk before Florence and the Machine released a song about it. 

Hurricane in action
Yes friends, that is a photo of me in a party hat and mask shooting fire out of my arm. This is the only sighting of Hurricane in action. I've gotten pretty good at keeping the fire power under wraps the last 5 years. I'm not actually on fire it's just a a great angle and perfectly timed drunken snapshot. 

And while I wish the story about how I earned the nickname was as cool as my crime fighting abilities when intoxicated, it involves actual wind in nature, a bathroom, four shots of X-Rated vodka and half a bottle of champagne that could have served 10. 

So after those shots and too much champagne, I had to pee (keeping it real folks and last mention of bodily functions, swear) so I skipped down the hallway of my friend K's then apartment in to her tiny bathroom. We were out in San Berno and it was windy as all tarnation that night. The combination of the alcohol, sitting down for the first time all night -- i.e. the room was spinning and the wind whipping outside, in my mind meant I was somehow in a hurricane that was contained in the bathroom.

I threw open the bathroom door, still sitting there tights down and dress up, and yelled out in to the living room: IT'S LIKE A HURRICANE IN HERE! and then slammed the bathroom door again. 

Apparently I didn't come out for a long time, but I don't remember this. Truth is I don't remember much of what happened after that, but I do know that was the night, the moment, my drunk alter ego was given a name. Given how I spent much of 2008 abusing my liver (I look back now and wonder how I went out drinking/dancing 6 nights a week until 2am and still got up for work at 8am.) Hurricane came out to play quite a bit.

Now that I'm ya know an "adult", she doesn't come out nearly as often. Last time she came out I was wearing a pair of Captain America boxer shorts so I'm beginning to think the superhero thing might be a trigger. I actually worry what might happen if I was given Thor's hammer and tequila shots. 

No comments:

Post a Comment